Saturday, June 30, 2012

Religion is man made

I came across a blog conversation that was talking about "religion" and how so many like to say now that they are spiritual but not religious.  Or following Jesus but not religious.  Many are working hard to avoid being associated with being religious.

I think its because religion is man made, built to connect with God.  Some religions have obviously done better than others.  In saying this I think there are many methodologies that we can adopt from many religions that can help us connect with God.  I still think Jesus is the catalyst though.  I think he is the crux of history.  The one who will put all things right.  Now I'm a firm believer in what is known as Ultimate Reconciliation, which means eventually the world, the animals & all people will be reconciled to God.  Can't tell you exactly how but I feel quite strongly about this.  I'm not one to say that the Bible is all God's word either.  I think the Gospels are the most authoritative.  But there is quite a bit of evidence for Ultimate Reconciliation.  Now this is not Pluralism.  Pluralism says that there are many ways to God.  I still think Jesus is the way to God, even if people aren't aware of that.

So I think the point of spirituality is connecting with God.  God's point of connecting with us the best has been Jesus.  I don't think either one ever wanted to start a religion.  There are tons of discussions about TRUTH!  I think what is cool about not being religious is that truth becomes a person.  Its Jesus. Its God.  I think where we go wrong is we're constantly trying to figure out truth in idea form instead of person form.  Those that say they are defending or fighting for truth are simply defending ideas, doctrines, traditions, the bible; not Jesus or God.

I had a friend recently into Reiki that asked if she could send some energy my way.  I'm like sure.  I have no problem with other forms of connecting with God.  Now I know people will disagree with me but I think Jesus has come to attract & reconcile all.  There will be different ways people discover Jesus, sometimes maybe not even by the english name.

Jesus said seek & you will find.  I believe it wholeheartedly.  True spiritual truth seekers will find much more than ideas or a perfect religions or perfect traditions or perfect scholarship.  They will simply find Jesus.  There may not be many ways to God, but I believe there are many ways to Jesus.  Religion is probably the one of the worst ways to really connect.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that if you're seeking JESUS, you'll find him. I don't necessarily believe that seeking "spirituality" will lead you to Christ. The way is narrow, after all. Often times, the pursuit of spirituality grows out of narcissism...Jesus was so the opposite of that. I don't think we ever find Jesus when we're looking in the mirror all the time. Deny yourself, he said. Follow me.

    I do think we will be surprised by those we see in Heaven--I think the traditional Christian view of who's "in" and "out" is much too exclusive. If it's truly God's will that NONE should perish, I think he'll create ways for people to be drawn to him that our mainline traditions don't necessarily understand. Still, "no man comes to the Father but though me." You have to know and recognize Christ as savior to get to the Father.

    The older I get and the more people I meet, the more I realize that there are genuine seekers caught up in cultures or traditions that don't necessarily embrace the same Christ we see in mainline christianity; however, I believe Christ reveals himself to them in unconventional ways. It's not my job to correct them at every turn--I do my best to present the gospel, and then trust that the Holy Spirit will guide them toward Truth.

    I judge less these days, not because I have "embraced the grey," per se, but more because I realize that I just don't know it all. :) I leave the omniscience to God, and just trust his leading as I interact with those he puts in my path. Makes life a lot less complicated (and angsty.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good comment! We mostly agree & I think your insights are right on. I still think if you are a seeker of God you'll find him. My take on spirituality might be a little different but I understand that some of that can be selfish. I suppose in Christianity it can be too.

      My main point is true seekers or maybe we should say truth seekers; will find. I don't think truth is an idea I think its a person.

      The thing that excites me so much about this blog & Emerging conversations is that we have allot of common ground. You are I'm sure much more conservative than me. I think Rachel Held Evans (whose book "Evolving in Monkey Town" is a must read) is also more conservative than me too. She is probably where you are.

      But the cool thing is that we are admitting that we don't know it all & that that is okay. Also to understand that God is trying to save as many as he can & not purposefully be exclusive.

      Remind me later to do a post (or you can) on the narrow way. I think the way we've been reading that might be wrong, or at least a bit out of context.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment :-)

      Delete
  2. BELOW IS A POST A FRIEND RACHEL POSTED ON MY WALL ABOUT THIS POST.
    THOUGHT IT WOULD BE GREAT TO ADD HERE TOO.

    FROM RACHEL ELLNER (a future contributor & author for this blog & an old friend)
    It makes perfect sense to me that religion is 100% man-made, or ego-constructed- consisting of arbitrary rules constructed to prevent or alleviate pain and suffering.

    Choosing to live by any rules of absolute morality (as prescribed by organized religions) keeps the soul identified with the ego, preventing one from living in the spiritual realm.

    I think you may find Tolle's writings on surrender and "mind energy" versus "spiritual energy" particularly poignant. "The Power of Now" has proven to be continuously provoking for me as I ponder the perpetuation of shame-based, exclusive theological systems that simultaneously claim a patent on God and that their way is Right.


    ABOVE WAS HER POST & THEN SHE ADDED THIS COMMENT BELOW:

    Well, that sure got wordy in a hurry. Basically, how can everyone be right all at once with all these rules in the way. I think it can be simplified to "ego" and "fear".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, yes, ego and fear are big. Also the shame based theologies are so cancerous.

      What would be the name of Tolle's book or works that would be helpful to me or others. I'm not too familiar with him or her.

      I think you may be past Rachel Held Evans book "Evolving in Monkey Town" but you still might like it.

      Brian McLaren's book "A new kind of Christianity" is great though. No matter where you are coming from I really would love to know what you think.

      Rob Bell's book "Love Wins" is great too.

      Jay Bakkers "Fall to Grace" is amazing too. He is the son of Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker who had a big moral & legal fall. He has went thru so much from the church & so his perspectives on grace & spirituality are great. He is also a big advocate of Gay rights & marriage.

      ALL these are way out of any normal Christian Box :-) for anyone reading this, not just Rachel.

      Delete